Set free. I don’t know a one of us who doesn’t need this one area or another.
– Addictions. To substances. To sex/porn. To the approval of others. To gambling. Or social media. Or spending what we don’t have. And on and on
– Fear. Worry. “What could happen IF…” Anxiety. “What if people find out about…”
– Outbursts of anger. Bitterness. Unforgiveness. “How DARE he?!?” “She better watch her back…”
– Self-centeredness/pride or self-hate. (These 2 often reside in the same person at the same time. Because we know we were meant for more than that)
– Gossip and slander and focusing the negative in others.
– Man-made rules and the constrictions we have placed upon ourselves.
Set free. Jesus promised it. But not like you’ve heard. LISTEN!
This what you’ve heard. What I’ve heard: “The truth shall set you free”- John 8.
Yep. Jesus said it. But it’s not what Jesus said. Seriously- try it. Go do some major crime. Then go confess to the police. And say, “I told you the truth. I guess I’m free!” See how that works out for you, Ace.
Here’s what Jesus actually said: “IF you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. THEN you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free”- John 8
Check it out- here’s where freedom is found. Follow Jesus. Whole heartedly. Hold to his teaching. Don’t walk in unrepentant, unforgiven, willful, ongoing sin. And if you’re going to, then just know that you will not be free. It’s that simple. The freedom that you are arguing for- apart from God’s will- is your own prison. It’s your fault. No one else’s. And certainly not God’s.
Follow Jesus. Whole heartedly. Hold to his teaching. Why? Because it’s Truth. The Truth of who he is and how he designed life to work. “IF you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. THEN you will know the TRUTH…”
Oh…and this rocks! …and the TRUTH will set you free.” God’s Spirit in you- if you know Jesus- will also empower you to follow him fully. And that power will set you free. It’s a process, not an event. A lifestyle, not a miraculous moment. Learn it, love it, live it. And watch what happens.
Set free? It’s your birthright as a child of God. But it’s also your choice as a twice born child of God.